From couch to first film in 4 weeks
Starting to make videos is always a daunting procedure and the amount of knowledge that you need can seem overwhelming. With some guidance and practical training of basic video making techniques, we can help you obtain the skills you need to create your own videos or vastly improve your current skillset.
Learn to make YouTube and social media videos, documentaries or just improve your family videos for sharing with friends and relatives. In this course, you will learn the skills of video storytelling from a TV professional, including camera, sound and editing, plus interviewing, presenting and the tools to construct a compelling story.
The course is over 4 sessions on a Thursday evening (6.30pm-8.30pm) for £80 in total.
• Understand what equipment is best for your needs and how to use it
• Learn what makes good camerawork, sound recording and editing
• Try out the director’s toolkit of storytelling techniques
• Learn to get good material from other people on camera
• Practise analysing TV and YouTube shows for inspiration
• Create your own short project to develop your skills
What you need to bring to the first session:
• Smartphone, DSLR or video camera
• Notebook and a pen
• For later sessions, a laptop or tablet with editing software will be helpful but not essential – software options will be discussed in early sessions
Carl is the director of Cambridge TV Productions. He is an experienced audio specialist, producer, camera operator and editor. He's worked on productions for the BBC, Channel 4, Sky, etc and has worked with some big names in the industry.
Some of his recent work includes Blue Peter (BBC), Grand Designs (Ch4), Vicky McClure: My Dementia Choir (BBC), Find My Past (Lion Television), The Gunpowder Plotters and Churchill's First World War (BBC) and Portrait Artist of the Year & Sky Movies specials (Sky).
Interested in joining the course? Email us to book a visit and take a look at our facilities. Payment through BACS and invoices are available upon request!
4x Thursday evenings
Dates: 05, 12, 19 & 26 March
Price: £80 in total